Newton’s Lore: The Art of Giving
Daren Newton, Founding Publisher of The Clerkenwell Post, sharpens the microscope on some very intriguing gift ideas for design enthusiasts.
Buying the perfect present can be an assault course of brands, budgets and big ideas so I’ve selected some alternative Christmas presents from local showrooms that would be top of my list… pens at the ready.
1. First up are Clerkenwell stalwarts Arper, with their plywood Saya chair designed by Lievore Altherr Molina. Rendered in wood with a sleek silhouette and curved seat, it’s the ideal gift for the home or the office. Plus, the stackable steel version means you can buy more than one!
2. Undeniably beautiful from all angles, the CH07 Shell Chair by Carl Hansen & Søn is perfect for lounging in on Boxing Day. It’s wing-like lines and tapered legs create the ultimate sense of balance and proportion.
3. For festive gatherings, Stellar Works’ Utility Stool is perfect to perch on and made from the most luxurious materials. This elegant piece fits seamlessly into any room and is as practical as it is easy on the eye.
4. Pentagon’s Metal range features a collection of stunning porcelain tiles with metal inspired finishes. The hardest part is choosing from grey, rust, or dark colourways. Quite frankly, I’ll take them all!
5. Finally, forget about five golden rings, The Sebastian Cox Kitchen by deVOL is brimming with rustic charm and opulent copper accents. With fixtures and fittings including a full-length copper worktop, sustainable British timbers, and beautifully aged patina, who could say no.